Company History

James Stewart began trading in Lower Salthill, Galway in 1902. The firm quickly grew into a general building business with in-house capabilities such as Joinery Works, Mechanical Engineering Works and an Architectural Stonework Division. Materials were transported by horse and cart, and with this the requirement for stables and an in-house blacksmith, to shoe horses, make cart wheels and sharpen Tradesmen’s tools! The business developed into a builder of houses, churches, schools and industrial buildings. The business was incorporated in 1938 as James Stewart Ltd., and is now one of the top Irish Main Contracting firms with a head office still based at the original location in Lower Salthill and a thriving Dublin regional office. The Stewart family continue to own and manage the business, with the Chairman Seán Stewart, a grandson of the founder, being assisted by an expert and dynamic management team, which includes his son Paul, Managing Director and daughter Rachael, Business Development Director.