James Stewart began trading in Lower Salthill, Galway in 1902. The firm quickly grew into a general building business with in-house capabilities such as Joinery Works, Mechanical Engineering Works and an Architectural Stonework Division. Materials were transported by horse and cart, and with this the requirement for stables and an in-house blacksmith, to shoe horses, make cart wheels and sharpen Tradesmen’s tools! The business developed into a builder of houses, churches, schools and industrial buildings. The business was incorporated in 1938 as James Stewart Ltd., and continues to thrive as a Main Contracting firm still based at the original location in Lower Salthill. The Stewart family continue to own and manage the business, with the Chairman Seán Stewart, a grandson of the founder, being assisted by a strong management team, which includes his son Paul and daughter Rachael.